Thursday, January 28, 2010

Apply within

As an English major, there aren't exactly loads of internships or job opportunities. Not a lot of companies are begging you to come and analyze literature for them. Strange, I know. Why wouldn't someone hire me to give my interpretation of King Lear? No idea. Anyway. As an editing minor, there are lots of job and internship possibilities. I get at least a couple emails a week about some place that's looking for a student editor to intern with or work for them.

Since I only recently added the editing minor, this world of possibilities is new to me. Quite novel, really. And so, I have gone a little--shall we say--berserk. Every time I get an email with the words "internship" or "job opportunity for editors" in the subject line, I gasp, clutch at my throat (this isn't always literal, but it often is) and say, "I can do that!" until I either a) realize I have no time, b) realize I'm underqualified, or c) sit before my monitor in breathless anticipation as I update my resumé (yet AGAIN) and send it off with a demure but (hopefully) intelligent sounding email.

Today was no exception to the above scenario. Except I haven't sent out my resumé yet. I decided to wait until I get home to look through some resumé-help book that Kegan has to see if there's anything in there that I can use. I am filled with anticipation. I really am. Every moment my resumé isn't sent out is a moment gone by without my genius discovered! This one internship could be my big break! My foot into the door of the publishing world! Viva France!... or something.

So... wish me luck. And if you hear of anything, send it my way. Even if I don't apply to it, I'll definitely clutch at my throat and gasp.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie Lewis said...

Haha. I can totally see you doing that. Best of luck!

January 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger Mariko said...

I really would like to be an editor too. Except the part where you read bad stuff. I don't mean bad as in rated R, I mean bad as in not fun to read. I hate that.
Maybe when you break into the editing world you can be my connection into the biz.

January 29, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home