Thursday, December 17, 2009

Sand Man

Dreams are funny things. I used to think that they didn't mean anything. I've heard about dream interpretation books--you know, if you have a dream about Mussolini, see page four and it means that you're worried about skin cancer or something. Okay, I don't really know, I've never looked at one of those books. But that's what I imagine them to be like.

When I was in middle school I dreamed about the same boy every night for a week. They were always very tender, sweet dreams. I thought it meant we would start dating or get married or something. Didn't happen. After that, I stop putting any stock in my dreams.

Lately, though, I've been thinking that maybe dreams mean something after all. Dreams are supposed be like your mind cutting loose, right? I've had a couple dreams recently that made me think that maybe my dreams are important to my sanity. I think everyone has problems and fears that they don't talk about to anybody, and sometimes won't even admit to themselves. But holding all that in has to find an outlet somewhere eventually, don't you think? I think that for me, that outlet has become my dreams. A couple months ago I had a dream where I confronted a couple of fears/painful things and I just ranted and screamed and made everyone understand. When I woke up the next morning, I felt relieved, like, "Whew! Got that off my chest!" And then last night I had a different experience. I dreamed about something that I used to worry about and be scared of and resent all the time. Lately, I've been trying to let it go. But in my dream, it all came out. I didn't solve anything in my dream, but it was a reminder that that fear-or-whatever is still there.

This is the first time in my life that this has happened--that I remember.

Then there are those dreams that you have repeatedly--or maybe its not the same dream, but you go to the same place. I kind of like those dreams, the familiarity.

I used to have this recurring dream when I was a kid about a huge pool full of really watery macaroni and dark blue octopuses swimming in it. That's GOT to mean something.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie Lewis said...

If dreams do mean something, I am definitely not getting the message.

December 19, 2009 at 8:15 AM  
Blogger Masayuki said...

You also had a dream about marrying me and woke up crying. Dreams can mean things, dreams can be visions from God, but most of the time, they're just dreams. Otherwise, we're all going to be attacked by zombies any day now...

December 22, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home