Monday, April 20, 2009

Sign up for the Summer Reading Program!

Summer is excellent for so many reasons. There's corn on the cob, sunshine, tans, vacations, loads of fresh fruit, the SMELL of sunshine/ coconutty sunblock/ dirt/ barbecue/ grass, swimming, hiking, white water rafting. Everything seems looser in the summer. Less crammed and less hasty. In Provo, 2/3 of the people leave--which I like best, I'll admit. There are concerts and s'mores and barefoot walks. But one of the best things about summer is that there is time to READ. Finally! After months of reading assigned literature and bowling-ball-weighted textbooks, I can read what I want. I went to the library after work about 2-3 times a week last summer. My library card has a purple dragon and says, "Imagination Passport" on it. How cool am I?

There are certain books that I read only during the summer. They belong to that time of year for some reason. I've decided that I need to purchase "Slouching Towards Bethlehem" by Joan Didion this year. I've read it a couple of times, and it just feels like a summer book to me. Maybe I'll re-read Harry Potter too. It's been a while. Mm. Maybe not. We'll see.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott Morris said...

A summer must read: Dandilion Wine, by Ray Bradbury. It is all about summer, and you can feel and smell and taste summer while you read it. I couldn't imagine reading it at any other time of year. It will be the first thing I read next week.

April 20, 2009 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Mariko said...

I think I'm the only English person on the planet that never reads anymore.
My brief 6 week summer is full of dread for the next school year.
It is my goal to read "The Descendants" by Kaui Hart Hemmings and to finish "Sailor's Song" by Ken Kesey.

April 20, 2009 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger c. said...

you mean...you mean we BOTH have imagination passports?
right now i'm reading birds of america by lorrie moore, and i highly recommend it. i wasn't a fan of the story of hers that we read in class, but this book, it is a winner.
and it should be back at the provo library next tuesday.

April 22, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home