Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My apartment smells like fish

My apartment retains smell unlike any other I've been in. My roommate made shrimp-something-or-other a few nights ago and that fishy smell has permeated the entire front room/kitchen and set up shop. This morning when I woke up it had creeped into my bedroom. Gross. Now, though, the smell has faded just enough so that it reminds me of the smell of our condo in Spain after our madre would make us fish for lunch--which was often.

There are a lot of smells that remind me of Spain. Exhaust and cigarette smoke (I used to hate the smell of cigarettes, now I like it a little bit), fish, certain colognes and perfumes, mild laundry soap, fried churros, this Nike perfume I bought when I was there called "Up or Down," some hair straightening products, and the indefinable smell of the kitchen. And rain. Rain reminds me of Oregon and Spain. The two best places.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mariko said...

Can't follow you on the cigarette smoke one.
Sometimes I buy shishamo (have Kegan get you some sometime) which is REALLY stinky, and Jake nearly throws me out when I cook it.
After reading Keg's post, I am pyschically predicting that you guys will live in Oregon after you graduate.
Hawaii has that smell too, which is so nice. I couldn't live away from that wet green smell.

March 22, 2009 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Sylvia Louise said...

Cigarette smoke is still pretty gross, but I do like what it reminds me of. What is shishamo? I've smelled natto, which was probably a good prep for other smelly stuff.

I hope we live in Oregon. Despite all of Utah's charms (or lack thereof) I still love the Northwest.

March 23, 2009 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger Mariko said...

Ah yes. If you've lived through Natto you've done well. I sometimes get natto cravings and put everyone through h-e-double hockey sticks for it.

March 24, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home