Friday, September 11, 2009

Boy Bands, etc

Today in my Spanish lit class my professor had us sing Backstreet Boys. She put the lyrics to “I Want It That Way” on her Powerpoint presentation. She played the music. She made us sing. Then she put up the words to Al Yankovic’s “I Bought It on Ebay.” She played the music. Again, she made us sing. It was excellent.

I know all the words to most Backsteet Boys and N’SYNC songs. No matter how much time may pass, no matter how many times BSB tries and fails to make a successful comeback, no matter how many people tell you that the “Cry Me and River” and “SexyBack” days have been Justin Timberlake’s best—I will always know (and cherish?) the words to those songs.

“Tell me why-ee!
Ain’t nothing but a heartache.
“Tell my why-ee!
Ain’t nothing but a mistake.”
“Tell me why-ee!
I never want to hear you say,
I want it that way.”

In other news, I’m reading (and close to finishing) How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn. It makes me love and want to go Wales even more. And so, I give you a small slice that I discovered while I was reading Valley today:

“I am not worried now and I never have or will. You must learn to tell worry from thought, and thought from prayer. Sometimes a light will go from your life, Huw, and your life becomes a prayer, till you are strong enough to stand under the weight of your own thoughts again.” Pg. 358

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie Lewis said...

Why are those songs so permenantly engrained in my memory? And why do I secretly love them? I'll blame it on Stephani P.

Also, I really love that quote. I worry too much.

September 11, 2009 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger Mariko said...

Why-ee did you do that in Spanish class?

September 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Sylvia Louise said...

She was teaching us about intertextuality. We generally watch/listen to 4+ movie clips/ songs per class period.

Yesterday we listened to all of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" some of "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" and we watched the last part of "Much Ado About Nothing" and also viewed a photo montage of people who've had extensive plastic surgery. We were learning about how ephemeral life is. Clearly.

September 15, 2009 at 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home