Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Someone give me a gold medal... or an IV

Because I may not survive yoga or learning Japanese.

Yoga is hard. Yoga is painful. Yoga highlights how unbelievably inflexible I am.

But yoga is good for me. Especially those tight muscles that are so friendly that they invite themselves in to stay all the time.

Japanese is incomprehensible. Japanese makes me feel like a doofus. Japanese is nothing like those lovely Latin-based languages that I am so familiar with.

But Japanese is good for me. And it's kind of a big deal to Kegan's side of the family. And can one truly enjoy Japanese fashion without knowing how to speak Japanese? I don't want to risk it.

And Japanese class happens to be fun, even though I'm a total slug when it comes to learning. Just call me what my sensei sometimes does, "Lovespend-san."

4 Comments:

Blogger Mariko said...

Hmmm.
I'm twisting my mouth at "matters to Kegan's side of the family" because you know I will have to hate you completely if you learn to speak Japanese fluently before me. That's the same thing I've said to Jake, but he persists with his learn japanese podcast.
:) I won't really hate you. But I will be insanely jealous.

I am perfectly okay with you being incompetent at speaking Japanese, as I am. I totally agree about it being annoyingly un-latin based.

Yoga is terrible and wonderful. It does feel good to be done, but I basically feel like stopping every second while I'm doing it.
My mom said to me once: "You should do yoga. Everyone who does yoga is skinny."
I have to point out-- causation is not the same as correlation.

September 5, 2009 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Sylvia Louise said...

I really don't think you should worry about me becoming fluent any time soon (*soon meaning any time in the next 7-10 years). I'm pretty sure that by the end of the semester I'll be able to say "My name is Amanda" and "Where is the bathroom?" Which ARE pretty important... but still won't make me feel like a native of Japan.

I have to agree with your mom that people who do yoga DO seem to be of the skinny variety. However, does yoga really get you skinny? I've resisted it all these years because I've felt that if I'm going to take the time to exercise, I want it to be doing something that tells me how many calories I've burned and puts me in a solid sweat. Like an elliptical machine. The little calories-burned counter thing is pretty much the only thing that keeps me going. If yoga had one of those, I'd be a total fan. Maybe.

September 7, 2009 at 12:49 AM  
Blogger Mariko said...

P90x Yoga may change your mind about that. That is definitely the worst of the bunch.

I did the elliptical for 1 hour a day (770 calories) for 3 months (except Sunday) and didn't lose one pound. I think the calorie counter is broken.

7-10 years is still too soon for me.

September 7, 2009 at 2:45 AM  
Blogger Katie Lewis said...

At least you're not taking ballet!

September 9, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home