Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Jaja, jeje!

Why is it that lame jokes aren’t so lame in a second language? I’ve had many Spanish classes where my professors will make some remark or crack some joke that really isn’t that clever or witty, but everyone laughs. And it’s real laughter, not just politeness. And today in Japanese class some kid in my class ordered beer at the “restaurant,” said he was eating his Sprite instead of drinking it, and got stuck on repetition so that when he was asked if he would go somewhere, instead responded that he didn’t speak Russian. I was dying laughing. Seriously. Everyone was, even our teacher. It was like we were in a comedy club or something.

There is one joke that I’ve heard way too many times in Spanish classes. How are a girl and an apple alike? No espera/ es pera! Get it? It’s supposed to refer to girls who say they’ll wait for their missionaries. Like I said, I’ve heard it waaaay too many times.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie Lewis said...

hahaha! <-not politeness

September 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home