Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Happy Birthday




"'Merely to live, merely to exist--what sense is there to it? A fly also lives.'" -The Chosen, Chaim Potok

"Oh, well, I can't describe him. Maybe you can never explain what it is about one certain person that makes you feel there are a lot of little strings attached between you and him, all pulling." -Greensleeves, Eloise Jarvis McGraw

"I did not press her to explain. I was too grateful for that one word that allowed me at last to leave the island and begin to build myself as a soul, separate from the long, long shadow of my twin." -Jacob Have I Loved, Katherine Paterson

"In uncertainty I am certain that underneath their topmost layers of frailty men want to be good and want to be loved. Indeed, most of their vices are attempted short cuts to love." -East of Eden, John Steinbeck

I'd add something from Franny and Zooey, by Salinger, but I don't own a copy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie Lewis said...

Whose birthday is it?

July 9, 2009 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Sylvia Louise said...

My sister's.

July 9, 2009 at 9:27 PM  
Blogger Mariko said...

My copy is currently being borrowed.
"I like to ride in trains too much. You never get to sit next to the window any more when you're married."

That is so true.

July 11, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home