Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ordinary

Today I was looking at some amateur photography online. The majority of it was of ordinary people doing ordinary things. The pictures were so vibrant and natural and true-to-life that the ordinary people were absolutely beautiful. It seems like that's where the most beautiful things are: in people, regular, run-of-the-mill people. There is so much to be seen and appreciated in the seemingly mundane. The the amazing thing is that there's an inherent goodness in human beings. I think that people are basically good and basically mean well, but we get tripped up by ourselves and we forget things we've always known. I look at the celebrities in the media, who we use as our standard for beauty. But I can't think of a single one that is as beautiful as my mother. When I think of what I want to draw or photograph--those images that are impressed the most on my mind and heart and that I want to remember--usually it's the people I love or people I observe manifesting that inherent goodness.

I guess this goes along with my belief that there's no such thing as a boring person. People can be boring teachers, or speak in a boring way or have boring habits--but people themselves are fascinating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home