Sunday, January 30, 2011

I'd be okay if she forgot me

I do laundry every week, usually three or four loads. After the clothes are washed and dried, I take the warm baskets into the bedroom and fold and hang up the shirts and sweaters and slacks. Every week I listen to the radio program This American Life as I do this. Sometimes the episodes make me laugh out loud, sometimes they just make me think. There are stories that stay with me and stories that I seem to forget, or at least to tuck away into some hazy lobe of memory until they come back to me, triggered by a word or a feeling.

I've listened to almost all of the episodes from 2009 and 2010, so I've started dipping into older years. From 2008 there is an episode called "Life After Death." The second act of the episode is called "Guilty As Not Charged." It stays with me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Katie Lewis said...

It's a calming scene, thinking about you two or three walls away, folding your laundry and listening to "This American Life." I can picture you thinking. It makes me smile.

January 31, 2011 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Nippon Nin said...

I watch Japanese drama or Korean drama while folding lundry or ironing shirts. I like that the time go fast this way and want to watch,,, no fold more lundry! Take care and I always thankful for your visit to my blog.

February 1, 2011 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Bryan Lewis said...

I listened to this episode not so ling ago! It was sad...but good.

February 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

I love This American Life--I need to look that one up.

February 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger cassie said...

#175, babysitting, is my all-time favorite episode. if you haven't heard it, act 3 is totally mind-blowing.

February 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger Mariko said...

I love that episode too. It's the kind of story that catches in your lungs.

February 13, 2011 at 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home