Monday, June 7, 2010

Sooner than you think

Someday I will no longer be taking classes. Someday I will have a different job than I have now.

That will be a good day.

Something else:
Today in my editing-for-publication class, my professor talked about finding jobs. He said, "Your first job may be your dream job. But your first job may be as, say, a receptionist (not that there's anything wrong with being a receptionist, that's just probably not what you're interested in). But that does NOT mean that you are a receptionist. You are an editor that is temporarily working as a receptionist while you find an editing job."

I'll have to keep that little pep talk in mind when I get my first out-of-college job as burger flipper. Kidding. Really... I hope!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

I love this post! That is the exact position I found myself in after I graduated. A receptionist. And you are right, what you do 9 to 5 does not define who you are. I realted so well to this post!

June 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Mariko said...

They would never hire you as a burger flipper. They know someone who's looking for a better job in a second.
Besides, there are tons of terrible jobs out there that take some actual intellect that you may have while you're looking for an editing job.

June 11, 2010 at 1:11 AM  
Blogger Katie Lewis said...

Bomanda-

You will always be an editor in my heart.

Love,
Katie

June 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home