Thursday, May 20, 2010

My career... and fear of hypochondria

So. I'm graduating in August. I'll be looking for a job. Blah blah. Blather blather. You've heard it all before. But here's my problem: I don't know what I want to be as far as profession goes. I'm trained as an editor. But... I want to go to grad school someday. For a while I had my heart set on getting a masters in children's lit from Simmons College in Boston. Unfortunately, I didn't really think about what it takes to get into grad school until I'd already shot my academic self in the foot. My GPA is not going to endear me to any program. Which means I'll probably have to get the best score ever on the GRE and then get published a hundred times before any school will even look at me. Rats.

I've also been thinking about nursing. I've been thinking about it for a couple of years, actually. There are a few programs around that are just for people who already have their bachelor degree. You take the prerequisites, then do the program (12-18 mts) and then you have your RN. That whole thing would take about two years. Unfortunately, chemistry is NOT my strong point, and I would definitely have to take chemistry.

But before I try to sneak my way into a grad program or start healing the sick--I should probably work. Because then I might know what I really want to do. Theorizing is great, but sometimes very unhelpful.

And also: I'm worried that I'm a hypochondriac. I've known quite a few in my life and feel a general sort of disdain for the whole philosophy. But maybe I'm a hypochondriac too. No! Please nooo! I hurt my knee last week because I got a little overzealous about getting into running again. I thought it was just a little tendinitis, but today my knee hurts in a new and curious way. So I'm going to the health center tomorrow. I want to make sure I didn't tear something or... something. Does that sound wussy to you? It sounds a little wussy to me.

What has happened to me? I'm a directionless nutcase with a bum knee.

Please, don't judge.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Congrats on the upcoming graduation! That is such a huge accomplishment! I'm so proud of you! You have worked so hard!

May 20, 2010 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger Katie Lewis said...

1. I'm real sorry I re-ruined your knee by making you go running last night. And by making you babysit. That was probably what put your knee over the edge.

2. I definitely do not think it's wussy to see the doctor.

3. My personal request is that you write children's literature.

May 20, 2010 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger Masayuki said...

Better safe than sorry. Seriously. Where would I be today if I hadn't gone to the doctor about my "dry spot"? You haven't thrown up in a long long time either. I'm very proud of you.

May 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM  
Blogger Mariko said...

If there's any time that you have to not work, it's now. It is totally and completely acceptable to do something that is not working. Because any school you do will be your work.
Believe me. It's way less likely to happen later.
After I had Amaya I really really wanted to go back and do something in medicine. I don't think I would want to be a nurse, though, because I wouldn't want to clean things up.
Seeing the doctor is completely ok. Better than agonizing over it.
You could apply for a program that focuses on a good portfolio. You could do that well, I'm sure.
I did not want to be a teacher when I graduated. The little buggers grow on you. I'm not even a kid person. Obviously. What you're trained to do and what you do are usually so different things. It's weird that way.

May 22, 2010 at 12:26 AM  
Blogger DagnyDepa芝汝 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Meagan said...

You = so awesome. SO awesome :) I had so many of the same fears right before I graduated. Oh wait--I STILL have them! There are days when I'm like, "What the HECK are you doing, Meagan Dantzelle?! You don't even LIKE kids!" And then I spend a couple of hours hyperventilating, and then it passes and I realize that things really are going to be okay, and I'm not going to be a catastrophic failure on most days of my career (because I think everybody's a catastrophic failure on at least some), and then the world looks like a happier place. And, Amanda Sylvia, the world is about to be a MUCH happier place, because you're about to launch into it's workforce. Watch out, World. Poki's on the move.

June 1, 2010 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger 紹軍紹軍 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

June 3, 2010 at 5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home