Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tis the Season

Today in church I made a list of food I want to have this week. This happens a lot on fast Sundays. Someone was announcing which hymns we'd be singing and I was using the program and a pen from my scripture case to jot down things like, "margherita pizza" and "twice baked potatoes," and "peanut butter ice cream pie." I really should plan out every meal for the entire month on fast Sunday--I'm always very motivated in the food department. I also thumbed through three cookbooks today. Cookbooks read kind of like novels for me. I read about how to cook things even if I have no intention of actually making them.

Today was warm. Kind of hot, even. It's been the first day this year that I've actually felt the kind of heat that I associate with summer. During summers in Oregon, I used to press my nose against the black screen in my bedroom window. I always swore I could smell the sunshine. Logically, I may have been smelling only the screen itself, but I still think it was the sun. That whole practice meant I had a dirty-looking nose a lot of the time. A small price to pay for smelling the weather.

I'm looking forward to this summer. Kegan just bought a charcoal grill; it should be here on Tuesday. We've been talking about all the things we're going to grill and I am oh-so-excited. When I lived at home, we grilled like crazy through the summers. By "like crazy," I mean probably three times a week, maybe four. And we ate a lot of zucchini. Zucchini for almost every meal. My mom prepares zucchini one of two ways: either it's boiled, with Velveeta cheese added after the boiling, or it's baked in a glass dish with Velveeta cheese and crumbled saltines. I loved it both ways. I'm hoping to revive those dishes (but with a few changes) this year.

In case you were wondering, I intend to sign up for the Summer Reading Program at the library again this year. Any book suggestions? I've just started reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, but after that my reading schedule is wide open.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie Lewis said...

1. I am so excited for your grill to come. Yippee!

2. When does the summer reading program start this year? Bry and I haven't been to the library in quite some time. Shameful.

3. Perhaps you could include your cookbook reading. It probably counts. And we have a lot you can borrow if you want. Including one that's entirely devoted to BBQ.

4. Have you ever read "Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging" and the other books in that series? Bryan says they are inappropriate. Psh. He just doesn't understand why the adventures of a 13 year-old British girl would be hilarious. And they are. Especially if you listen to them on tape. But the books are pretty amazing in and of themselves.

June 7, 2010 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Mariko said...

I read Cold Mountain recently, which I really loved, despite my memories of the movie. I have a thing for war literature.
I'm in the middle of The Corrections, which is fascinatingly painful, so I won't recommend it.
Ruth Reichl's memoirs are good reads for the summer, too.
I wish I was more into grilling. The actual doing of it, I mean. I love the results. Especially grilled zucchini.
I didn't even know you could boil zucchini. I tend to go for as fattening as possible with the saute in butter action.

June 11, 2010 at 1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home