Friday, December 5, 2008

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

Today I unexpectedly got to watch most of the funeral service for Elder Wirthlin, via television. When he died was serving as one of the apostles of the Lord. That really is a remarkable statement right there: he was an apostle.

I think most people are searching for something, be it religion, purpose, a good friend, a perfect pair of jeans. But I believe that the deepest, most sincere desires are found in having faith in God. Strange as it may seem, all while growing up I never thought of myself as being "religious." For me, that seems to connote Bible-thumping or living the law of Moses or being fanatical in some way. But I think my perception of the idea of "being religious" was wrong. I am religious, very much so. I think being "religious" can simply mean that you believe in someone or something. That you have some spiritual focus, or you're searching for one. It's not a bad thing at all.

To me, Elder Wirthlin represented a great example of charity. I remember him speaking so often about love and kindness and forgiveness and gratitude--all matters of the heart. We want to be like Jesus Christ and Elder Wirthlin was a pure and beautiful example of someone who strove to be like the Savior. His example makes me want to try harder and to be better. His son, Joseph B. Wirthlin, Jr. was the first speaker at the funeral and he said something like, "it doesn't matter where you work, only that you work for the Lord." He also read a poem by Edgar Guest that said that no matter what your lot is in life, if you do your best and be your best and that will elevate you and make you nobility. I want to have that kind of decency.

During the service, the choir sang, "The Shepherd Will Supply My Need," a beautiful song. I want to post the lyrics to it because it so well represents the kind of person Elder Wirthlin was and the faith he had.

My Shepherd will supply my need:
Jehovah is His Name;
In pastures fresh He makes me feed,
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back
When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy’s sake,
In paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death
His presence is my stay;
One word of His supporting grace
Drives all my fears away.
His hand, in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
His oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise.
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest,
But like a child at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home